November 29, 2008

Imagining the end of the Press

Hartford Courant columnist Rick Green lays out what's going on with his usual acumen in this column.
I wish I could have the optimism that Paul Bass of the New Haven Independent routinely displays, but I simply don't, perhaps because I can't help focusing on the thousands of steady newspaper readers who will be left with nothing at all if the Press folds. I do agree with him about one thing, though: that there may be a lot more hungry journalists in a couple of years.
*******
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any update on what is happening with the Press? Any interest from a buyer?

Steve Collins said...

No news at all.

Anonymous said...

Steve, can you explain exactly what Paul Bass's New Haven Independent is?

Is it simply a newspaper on line? Who provides all of the information? Does he get paid? Does he make mmoney?

In any event, it's very informative.

Steve Collins said...

It's an online-only competitor to the New Haven Register. My understanding is that it's funded mostly from grants, but I have to talk with Paul Bass sometime soon to find out more. I've been a reader for a long while, but I don't really know how the paper gets its money.

Anonymous said...

This link may help, Steve.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/supportNHI.php

Looks like a possible business model...

Anonymous said...

It's a good time to start something new...