Showing posts with label wellness clinic. Show all posts
Showing posts with label wellness clinic. Show all posts

August 5, 2009

Senior wellness clinic

Anyone who doubts the power of the press, or questions whether Bristol needs a newspaper, should look at what happened when Bristol Hospital decided to shut down the wellness clinic at the Beals Senior-Community Center.
By focusing attention on the story, the Bristol Press clearly showed both hospital and city leaders why keeping the clinic open mattered to so many struggling seniors -- and because of that they found a way to save it.

*******
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

July 31, 2009

Gill hails progress on wellness clinic

Press release from Republican mayoral candidate John Gill, in reaction to this story:

Gill: Hospital and City Working to Save Senior Clinic

Despite the recent and sudden closure of the Senior Wellness Clinic this week, Republican Mayoral candidate John Gill is pleased to see the two entities recognizing the need for the clinic to remain open.
“While this may seem to be a small service to some, it is important to our seniors. I am encouraged by Mr. Barwis’ initiative to engage the city in discussions to resume the services provided by the wellness clinic. ” Gill said.
Earlier this week Gill had raised this issue citing the failure of the City to respond to this situation. “The lesson learned here, I hope, is that the City must stay in touch with the hospital routinely to assure continued services for our seniors such as these. Perhaps a liaison position needs to be created either through the Bristol Burlington Board of Health or our elected officials.” Gill suggested.

*******
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

July 28, 2009

Gill: City knew but did nothing

Press release this morning from Republican mayoral hopeful John Gill:


It appears the city was made aware of Bristol Hospital’s decision to close the Senior Wellness Center as early as Friday July 24th. “What is so disturbing to me is that the Mayor didn’t pick up the phone and call the hospital to schedule an emergency meeting to try to find a solution” Gill said.

Further Gill went on to say that he was shocked to read that the mayor, a democrat, “won’t commit tax dollars to fund a private service. This is what democrats in Washington are all about these days. They are owners of car companies, banks, insurance companies as well as wielding the power to replace CEO’s “

At the very least the City could have tried to come up with a solution, Gill said, and I am glad to see that Mr. Barwis has asked the Mayor to discuss this unfortunate condition for our seniors with one day remaining before the scheduled close. One possible source of funding is the approximately $54,000, the City is expecting to receive for over-payments to AT&T. Our Seniors helped build this City, we should make every effort to save their Wellness Center. Gill stated.


*******
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

July 25, 2009

Gill calls for city to help save wellness clinic

Press release from GOP mayoral candidate John Gill, reacting to this story in the Press:

Responding to the sudden announcement that Bristol Hospital will close the Senior Clinic at the Senior Center on July 29th, Gill said “That in difficult economic times like this, these are the types of services that are unfairly cut that effect our seniors”.

“While I understand the Hospitals difficult decision, and the difficulty Mr. Barwis dealt with in making this decision, I do not understand why the City was not involved and some form of compromise was reached.” Gill stated.

Bristol Hospital is our community based health delivery center and it must remain viable to all our citizens especially our seniors. There have been many budget issues that the current administration has left unattended or over funded that could have easily helped save this service for the hospital and the seniors. All we need to do is to get to the table to figure out how.” Gill said.

“If we have taken money out of the City surplus accounts to fund this year’s budget, which is troublesome to begin with, then the $24,000 needed to keep this vital program in tact is nothing”. Gill went on to say that he admires the work of the volunteer nurses and that they have demonstrated and provided the care and compassion that we can not afford to lose. I call on the City to resolve this crisis immediately and I offer to help in any way I can”

*******
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com