May 3, 2010

Hamzy not seeking reelection

State Rep. Bill Hamzy said late Monday that he is not going to run for reelection this year.
Hamzy, a 44-year-old Plymouth resident, said the decision is motivated entirely by his desire to spend more time with his wife and two children.
“That’s really what it comes down to,” said the veteran Republican lawmaker. “My kids grow up once.”
Hamzy captured the 78th House district seat in 1994 and has held it ever since, becoming one of the most respected Republicans in the Democrat-dominated General Assembly.
Hamzy, who served a one-year stint as the state GOP chair in 2005, said he realized that before he had children he spent 12 years coaching baseball in the community.
But now that his 9-year-old son, Zachary, is playing, he can only help out occasionally because of the demands of the legislature.
“I’m not happy,” said Hamzy, a lawyer who practices in Bristol.
For more, Read the full story in The Bristol Press.

Update at 8:45 p.m. --
Here is a press release that Hamzy put out after I talked to him:

Representative William A. Hamzy:
“I have decided not to seek another term as state Representative from the 78th District”

Hartford – State Representative William A. Hamzy of Bristol and Plymouth (R-78) will not seek re-election. Below are his remarks he will deliver before the General Assembly tomorrow:

Mr. Speaker, I rise with very mixed emotions today to announce that I have decided not to seek another term as state Representative from the 78th District.
My service in this historic chamber and building has been overwhelmingly positive.  In a lot of respects, it defies logic that I am here and have been here for the last 16 years.  As the son of parents who immigrated here from Lebanon to a community with a handful of people of Lebanese descent and as a Republican in a district that is predominantly Democrat, logically this should not have happened.
But, I truly believe that my experience is yet another example of the greatness of our communities, our state and our nation.  It is yet another sentence in the stories of the people who make up the United States of America.
The sheer greatness of the people who founded our country and created this form of representative democracy never ceases to amaze me. 
My parents instilled in me a sense of responsibility and a sense of duty to serve my community.  Because they fully understood that if we were to enjoy the freedoms that many people around the world die for each and every day, then we also had to own up to our responsibilities which must accompany these freedoms.  As much as people try, you cannot separate these two things. 
And that is why I am worried about our future.  I am worried because today, watching the latest reality television show is more important than volunteering at a social service organization.  Following the latest drama in Hollywood is more important than learning the issues that are discussed here in this building.
I wish I had a simple solution to this problem which affects each and every one of us.  I wish I could just snap my fingers and change this situation.  But, obviously, I can’t.
However, I can tell you that for me, there could not be a more rewarding professional experience than representing the people of Plymouth and Bristol in this great institution.  Has it been frustrating at times?  Of course.  Has it been demanding to get up in the morning, go to my law office, come up here for meetings or public hearings or sessions until late into the night and then have to go back to my law office until midnight or 1 in the morning just to repeat it all over again the next day?  Certainly.
But that is the beauty of this system.  That a son of immigrant parents can grow up in Terryville, CT to open his own law firm and be elected to the CT House of Representatives.
However, as they say, all good things must come to an end.  And while this has been one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to make, I know in my heart that it’s the right one.  I have truly been blessed in my life.  I honestly don’t know the reason but I will tell you that I am very grateful.  I have a saint for a wife and two healthy children.  When I first got here, I wasn’t married and had no children. 
Juggling my professional responsibilities with my legislative duties was much easier.  However, I just can’t miss any more baseball practices or any more dance recitals.  I have often been told that there is no rewind button when you have children.  Once those moments are gone, they don’t come back. 
And I know it seems cliché to say that you’re leaving because you want to spend more time with your family, but for me, that is the only reason.
I have loved this experience and can only hope that more people will choose to serve their communities, not necessarily in the political arena but in all the other ways which are just as important to better our state and country.
I’d like to end by extending my sincere thanks to all of the people who I have served with during my tenure but especially to Larry Cafero and Themis Klarides.  I’d also like to thank the people of the 78th District for putting their faith and trust in me to serve them here in our state Capitol.  And finally, I’d like to thank my family for being understanding enough to have allowed me to serve in this office.  Thank you again and God Bless You.
*******
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved. Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh, no loss, he only took credit for what others did anyway...

Anonymous said...

This is a big loss for the 78th District. He will be missed greatly. I wish him the best.

He and the rest of the House Republicans in Hartford helped fight for lower taxes for the last few years. And if not for Bill the Democrats would have passed large tax hikes on the residents of Bristol.

Anonymous said...

zoppo must be jumping for joy

Anonymous said...

Anonymous that's bull sh*t. Bill Hamzy did a lot for Plymouth, Bristol and the State of CT- to say otherwise is bold-faced lie.

You'd have trouble finding any legislators, from either party, that does not respect Bill as a good legislator and a good person.

Bill was a statesman that went above and beyond to represent his constituents. The fact that he cruised to re-election time and time again in a far-from-safe Republican district really says a lot about him and what he stood for.

I will consider us lucky if we can get a replacement half as effective as Bill.

Bill- I wish you the best of luck in your retirement from the legislature and I hope you find plenty of time to spend with your family. Thank you for your service.

Anonymous said...

Creates an opening for Krawiecki, doesn't it?

Who else do the republicans have?

Anonymous said...

Zoppo vs. Cockayne????

Anonymous said...

What district is Mocabee in?

wacko said...

wannabee is "out of it", literally.

Anonymous said...

Ken Cockayne should run! Go Ken!

Anonymous said...

9:31 poster

Lucky for Zoppo, Cockayne does not live in the district. Although I do know Cockayne has been looking for a new house.

Brock L. Weber said...

Bill,

Best of luck. You served our district with honor and respect, and you will be missed greatly. We were so lucky to have a Rep. who cared so greatly for his community and one who served it so well. Bill you were a true voice of conservatism at the state capital and will be greatly missed. Bill God Bless you and your family best of luck in the future.

Brock L. Weber

Anonymous said...

Go ahead and politicize this you biased jerks . But what's new ?

Anonymous said...

9:08 Like what ? He is a lot better than you deserve. But what's new ? More ho hum lies !

Anonymous said...

does plymouth really rate a rep?

Anonymous said...

Zoppo's kids are in Little League too, so I think her and Bill might be sharing a corn dog at the games. She ain't gonna run.

Anonymous said...

Moccabee would be the best replacement, someone should contact him and atleast establish his interest...

Anonymous said...

Too bad that Stortz doesn't live in that district

Anonymous said...

I thought Stortz did live in the 78th. TJ Barnes does if I'm not mistaken. Maybe he should run

loser said...

10:24 - would love to see wannabee LOSE AGAIN.

Anonymous said...

MOCABEE RUN ARE YOU KIDDING

Anonymous said...

Nah no loss . What has he done ? Classic republican question!

Anonymous said...

Seems like this was all worked out weeks ago, and now they are just going through the motions.