November 5, 2007

Catch up on the candidates before you vote

I know it's hard to find stories about all the candidates on this blog, the newspaper website or anywhere else. So I'm going to lay out quickly some of the stories about each major race on Tuesday's ballot for those who want to catch up quickly.

Mayor

Overview of the mayor's race

The final debate between Ward and Johnson

First mayoral debate sharpens distinctions

Johnson jumps into mayoral race

Ward to run for mayor

Treasurer

Overview of treasurer's race

City Council District 1

Overview of 1st District race

City Council District 2

Overview of 2nd District race

City Council District 3

Overview of 3rd District race

Board of Education

Who are the candidates?

Board of Ed candidates on K-8 plan

Board of Ed candidates on plan to build 900-student schools

Board of Ed candidates on proposed new school sites

There are, of course, a lot more stories on this blog. You can search for more by putting in the candidate you want to know more about. You can also look at the links to the right to reach the candidates' own websites and blogs. They may help, too.

The polls are open from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m. Here are the polling places:

Polling Places for the November 6, Election will be as follows:

Council District One
77A– Edgewood School – 345 Mix Street
77B – Northeast School - 530 Stevens Street
77C – Mountain View School – 71 Vera Road

Council District Two
78A – Chippens Hill Middle School – 551 Peacedale St.
78B – Clara T. O’Connell School – 120 Park Street
79A – South Side School – Tuttle Road

Council District Three
79B – American Legion – 22 Hooker Court
79C – Greene Hills School – 718 Pine Street
77D & 22 - Stafford School – 212 Louisiana Avenue

And here are the registration numbers as of Monday afternoon:

Registered Bristol voters this year
Independents -13,497
Democrats – 12,917
Republicans – 5,306
Others - 44
Total - 31,764
Source: Bristol Registrar’s Office

Link to detailed PDF showing the Bristol City Council district lines

*******
Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve- Thanks for all of your hard work on the blog. I know you will be happy once Tuesday at 8 p.m. comes!

Anonymous said...

There was an entry posted at 1:27 p.m. today from a Karen V who will be voting
for Ken Johnson, her boss and friend. Please use full last names, not simply
initials, as this can cause confusion. I am also a Karen V -- Karen Vibert,
Democratic candidate for Board of Education -- and I am supporting and voting
for the Democratic candidate for mayor, Art Ward, as well as the rest of the
Democratic ticket.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Karen! Glad to know you are supporting the BRISTOL FIRST team including your next mayor of Bristol, KEN JOHNSON!!

Anonymous said...

Karen,

It is great to see that you give no thought to the person running just their affiliation. It shows me the amount of effort you would put forth as a BOE member.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if those 44 "others" voters are "Lincolnians".....

Anonymous said...

Great post - Pulls it all together. I only wish there was more info on the candidates in the other races. (Board of Assessments Appeals & Constables) If not for Jackie Majerus article on the Treasures Race I would have no info about these candidates.

I guess I have to use the Old Eany, Meany, Miney, Moe or Just Vote Against the Incumbents for the Board of Assessments Appeals & Constables, since there is Little or No info about them or why they deserve my vote. Their names mean nothing to me (they're just names on a paper) Maybe it's a popularity contest. You know, like in High School where the Class Officers are Elected by How Popular They Our and Not Because They're Qualified.

Speaking of High School - The Board Of Education Candidates also have very little info about themselves. Aside from the Bristol Press articles (where some did not answer at all or refused to reply to some questions) I guess the only way to vote this race is to pick the candidates that our most disillusioned about the 3 (yes 3 not 2) K-8 Schools. Since Buildings & Secrecy don't improve learning - Programs, Parents & Staff (Administrators,Teachers & Aides) Do. The Way the Board of Ed conducted themselves in this K-8 Deboccle begs for a New Board.

Both Party Town Committees' Web Pages are basically useless in selecting a candidate. Either Major or Minor. The Democrats list some info about the Major Candidates (Unless your Frank Nicastro who only gets to have his Name & Picture on the Candidates Page and not even listed as a Elected Democratic official)

Side note: Mr Nicasrto is the ONLY candidate that I received unsolicited campaign info from. Way to Go Mr Nicastro. I guess your the only one that wants my vote. To be fair I did receive literature from Mr. Merrick even though it was in my mail box it was not addressed to me and was the wrong address. ( I perused it before I placed it in the correct mailbox)

The Republicans Website is Even Worse the Main Page up until recently (last time I checked was Saturday) talked about their loss 2 years ago. With a Sidebar that Candidate Info Was Coming Soon. If you clicked on it you where brought to a list of Major Candidates and Their Website and/or Email if they had any. But, today they moved, copied, or slightly reworked the Candidates Old Page and made it their Main Page (still with no useful info)

Bristol is the only Town/City that I have little or no information about the people I'm voting for.(By the way that is Five - Southington (I wasn't even eligible to Vote Yet (under age) and I still knew more about the Candidates), Plainville, Kensington and Farmington. Oh, I forget New Britain I had more info even though I didn't care. I tend to forget that Nightmare City)

Until the Town Committees step up and publishes info about all their candidates Endorsed or Non Endorsed in a General Election we all lose. Or is that the way they want it?? -Status Quo-

Anonymous said...

The word DEBOCCLE in my post On 11-05-2007 At 5:05PM (refering to the K-8 Deboccle) should have been spelled DEBACLE
Sorry Google Let Me Down
or
Maybe it's a alternate spelling ?
or
Maybe not

Anonymous said...

SORRY KAREN VIBERT!
MY NAME IS KAREN VITA!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to Karen Vita for clearing up the confusion. Now I can also place a face to the name!

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous who replied to me at 4:02 yesterday, (though I hesitate to reply to you as you prefer to remain Anonymous) I have given a lot of thought to who I am voting for. After attending the council and mayoral forums and meeting and speaking to the candidates, it just so happens that they are all Democrats.