January 15, 2009

Keep your eye on the flu

Ever get the flu? It stinks.
I spent the turn of the millenia feeling 1,000 years old and wondering if I'd make it into the new century at all.
Since then, I've made sure to get a flu shot and, knock on wood, haven't had to experience it again.
But I pay attention to the flu now, because it is one of my enemies. And I like to keep an eye on my enemies.
A new Google thing -- Google Flu -- makes it easier by showing where the flu is hitting hardest (New York and Maine, among nearby places) and what the overall trend is in nationwide. So far, so good.
But it's a cool new thing that once again shows how the web offers the potential of vastly increasing our knowledge and ability to keep up with events.

*******
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

No comments: