January 23, 2008

Charter panel won't change school board selection

Dick Prindle, a member of the Charter Revision Commission, said this morning that the panel agreed last night to abandon the idea of pushing for an appointed Board of Education.
He said he wasn't surprised given the lack of support for the proposal.
“I’m more or less totally disgusted with education,” said Prindle, who has run unsuccessfully for the school board in the past. He prefers changing to a voucher system that would open the door to students to attend alternative schools more easily.
Prindle said he's skeptical that the charter commission will wind up backing any significant reforms.
“I don’t see this group making any real changes,” he said. “It’s very discouraging to me.”

For some background on the issue, click here

*******
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im not sure if I misunderstand the situation or not but I fail to see where appointing a school board and instituting a voucher system go hand in hand. I would think that if there is a singificant want for it that citizens could let their councilmen know or join their voices to the chorus of people statewide asking the state legislature to back such a measure. Its not unfortunate that Mr. Prindle feels the need to throw the rest of the board under the bus so to speak because he didn't get his way on one issue. Steve- has their been any word on whether or not the board is still looking in to staggering terms? That might help create a situation where the people running for the board would have to actually get out and campaign.

Steve Collins said...

I don't know if they'd still consider staggered terms, which strike me as almost a necessity. I'll ask Tim Furey, the panel's chairman, when he calls me back today.

Anonymous said...

In my previous post the not before unfortunate was not intended. Not quite sure how that slipped in. Maybe I should do a better job proof-reading myself.

Anonymous said...

Maybe Prindle is still frustrated because he couldn't get elected to anything.
What did he run for Board of Ed, Mayor, Treasurer ????

Anonymous said...

Prindle is a Mocabee standin and we know Mocabee hates teachers.

Anonymous said...

I think he was one of Mocabees choices for State Senate also.