January 31, 2008

About comments on the blog

1. I approve most of the comments that don't contain cursing, racial or sexual slurs, matters that are purely private, or are merely hateful.
2. I do not personally agree with many of the comments that people make. Do no mistake my willingness to allow a comment with my support for it.
3. Some things slip through that I would kill on further reflection. When people call those to my attention, I usually delete those comments. (You all must understand that this blog is just a tiny part of my job; I can't spend hours pondering whether to approve or disapprove particular comments -- and sometimes, to be honest, I accidentally post stuff I meant to wipe out.)
4. I do not know who posts the comments. I have no way to tell.
5. I cannot require that all posters identify themselves by name. There is simply no way to do that short of checking personally with each poster to ensure the identity is correct, and that is never going to happen on a blog because it takes way too much time.
6. I may begin requiring those who want to comment to register first, which would make it so that people would need some kind of "handle" or name in order to post. That might help everyone at least sort of out who is who on some kind of basis. If you are a regular commenter here, you should register and post under some kind of name.
7. If you see a comment you think should not have slipped through, please send me a note telling me exactly which one concerns you (tell me which of my posts it's under as well as the time and anything else about it that would make it easy for me to find).
8. If you don't like the idea of anonymous comments, welcome to the club. I'm not a fan of it either. But this is how the internet has evolved, for better or worse, and we can either run with it or let someone else run with it. It's better here.


*******
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I do not personally agree with many of the comments that people make. Do no mistake my willingness to allow a comment with my support for it"

Well I personally don't agree with most of your opinions and your reporting either so I apprciate you allowing comments YOU don't agree with.

Anonymous said...

i completely understand and support your comments. thanks for letting mine through

Anonymous said...

Gossip column! Gossip column! Gossip column! GO STEVE!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Steve!

Anonymous said...

Of course the repulsicans like it becausethey can hide!!No guts !!! I did spell repulsicans right !

Anonymous said...

So when will these changes become part of how the blog works?

Judging by the continued behavior on this blog.

These changes need to happen yesterday.