August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy dead

U.S. Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts died this morning after a long career in public service.
I met him one time. He served lobster. That seemed pretty good to me.
Here's what President Obama had to say:

Michelle and I were heartbroken to learn this morning of the death of our dear friend, Senator Ted Kennedy.

For five decades, virtually every major piece of legislation to advance the civil rights, health and economic well being of the American people bore his name and resulted from his efforts.

I valued his wise counsel in the Senate, where, regardless of the swirl of events, he always had time for a new colleague. I cherished his confidence and momentous support in my race for the Presidency. And even as he waged a valiant struggle with a mortal illness, I've profited as President from his encouragement and wisdom.

An important chapter in our history has come to an end. Our country has lost a great leader, who picked up the torch of his fallen brothers and became the greatest United States Senator of our time.

And the Kennedy family has lost their patriarch, a tower of strength and support through good times and bad.

Our hearts and prayers go out to them today--to his wonderful wife, Vicki, his children Ted Jr., Patrick and Kara, his grandchildren and his extended family.

*******
Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

11 comments:

NOT mine said...

Maybe America will now have a chance of survival .

cseguin said...

I'm usually not someone who reacts to celebrity deaths. I will say, though that I saw this on the news this morning and felt some sadness.

Senator Kennedy worked extremely hard for Massachusetts, and I can't say enough good things about his work on behalf of the Commonwealth. We talk a lot about how a Congressman is supposed to represent his constitutents - I think Senator Kennedy did that better than anyone. The Commonwealth will miss him dearly...I just hope for the citizens of Massachusetts that they get an effective advocate in the Senate sometime in the near future.

By virtue of living in Boston for 7 years (including college), I got to know a great many people who had worked for Senator Kennedy, at all levels. To a person, they spoke very highly of him. He expected a lot out of his staff, but he also was more than willing to help them out with their careers if they had proven themselves in his office. I can't even begin to count the number of stories I heard of the Senator, displaying kindness towards current and former staffers.

Even as a staunch Republican, I very much respect everything Senator Kennedy did for Massachusetts, and the mark he left on the Senate. We talk a lot about "bipartisan efforts," almost making it cliche. However, Sentator Kennedy truly did work with Republicans, and was willing to compromise when he thought that the results would benefit the people of Massachusetts, as well as the people of the country.

I think if you'd asked Joe Kennedy if he thought his sons would make an impact on the country, he would have said "Yes," without a moment's pause. But, if you'd told him that Ted Kennedy would make the biggest impact of them all, I don't think he would have believed you.

Rest in peace Senator Kennedy.

Anonymous said...

Now he's with Mary Jo. I hope she gives him what he deserves for the rest of eternity.

Anonymous said...

12:08, If there's really any justice, Ted and Mary Jo will be spending eternity in two totally different places!

Anonymous said...

My handgun has killed less people than Ted Kennedy. Sorry, I may pay on judgement day but for how he has destroyed and divided this country I am not sad to see him pass.

Anonymous said...

An end of an era. I wonder if Ms. Zoppo will attend his funeral - they were too of a kind with wanting to spend money. she must have picked that up when she was in college with his son.

Anonymous said...

Oh for God sakes, leave Zoppo out of this - she has never exploted her connection to the Kennedys - maybe she should have - it might have helped in the primary.

Anonymous said...

If I knew she was friends with a Kennedy I never would have voted for Zoppo! Oh wait, I never did anyway.

Concerned Constructive Conservative said...

With all due respect to "Ms. Zoppo", I doubt she'll be attending (or invited to) TMKs funeral (no matter how much she bragged about shmoozing with the Kennedys in her younger days). And for her sake I sincerely she is not.

Anonymous said...

cseguin said: " can't even begin to count the number of stories I heard of the Senator, displaying kindness towards current and former staffers"

--That excludes the young ladies he was having an affair with that he took for car rides in Martha's Vineyard right?

--Please give an example of what Kennedy did for Massachusetts except help to make it a welfare state and ant-business? If the good people of Massachusetts had any common sense (and voted using their heads) they would have voted him out of offcie years ago.

Anonymous said...

Just not having to hear his voice again will be a relief.