October 24, 2008

Wright, Fitzgerald stick up for their parties

I asked both of the 77th District candidates where they differed from their party. Well, just to make it completely clear, I asked them this:

Where do you differ from your party? Is there anything that your party generally supports that you oppose? Anything it generally opposes that you support?

I leave it to you as to whether their answers are enlightening.
Here’s what Democrat Chris Wright had to say:

I generally agree with the Democratic Party and its philosophy of standing up for the average man and woman and protection of individual rights. The positions the party takes on issues such as tax equity, healthcare, protection of the environment and education are all positions which I support. Where disagreement often comes in is in the details of how best to achieve these goals. For instance, Democrats have put forth several proposals on how to achieve the goal of universal healthcare, and although I agree with the overall goal, I may not agree with each proposal’s specifics of how to reach it.

And here’s what Republican Jill Fitzerald had to say:

The Republican oath states that we believe that good government is based on the individual and that each person’s ability, dignity, freedom and responsibility must be honored and recognized. It also states that we believe in free enterprise and encouragement of individual initiative and incentive, as well as equal rights for all including those with disabilities. We believe that Americans value and should preserve their feeling of national strength and pride. I won’t write the entire oath here, but I will maintain that I believe in these ideals and I don’t believe the party has abandoned them.
In order to succeed and to work for the overall good of the people, partisan politics must be overcome.

*******
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

No comments: