December 5, 2007

Scotty Smyth retiring

One of the most familiar faces in city government, William "Scotty" Smyth, the assistant school superintendent for business, is retiring effective July 1, 2008.
"It has been a great please for me to be of service to the children, parents and taxpayers of Bristol," Smyth wrote in a November 20 letter to his boss telling him formally of the long-expected decision.
"I will miss the close working relationships I have developed over the years with Board members and staff, but most of all I will miss the children," he wrote.
"I take great pride in the achievement of Bristol students and hope that in a small way my efforts and the efforts of my office have contributed to the quality of the educational environment and process," he wrote.
He didn't want to have to go through redistricting again, of course, and who can blame him?

*******
Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scotty is a class act, a tireless worker and over many years, had to deal with three of the most difficult tasks related to the education of students; Busing, Budgets and Buildings.

He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I have had the opportunity to work with Scotty Smith and Barbara Doyle over the past 4 years. I have found both to be informative, helpful and professional. I am not sure where the "venom" comes from but from my perspective both of these individual have worked extremely hard at improving the educational environment in Bristol. Scotty in particular has done an extremely effective job and I believe we will be hard pressed to find someone with the skill set to fill his shoes and desk.

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Don't you have a buiness to run? Smith get's paid extremely well. He's going to enjoy pensions and bennies that even you couldn't marry into. I don't think a little venom aimed at Doyle or him is extreme or inappropriate.
In other words, go find something else to do today.

Anonymous said...

Scotty is a class act, a real gentleman and professional.
He will be missed.

His dedication, his integrity, his committment will be hard to replace.

Anonymous said...

I think the guy was just another hack for the administration. He may be better than what we'll get next, but that doesn't make him great.

Anonymous said...

Steve what ever happened to the 5 million dollars that the bonding co.owes the board of Ed for the botched job that tratourous did on the the two high schools.