December 1, 2007

Reval records are online now

The appraisal data for Bristol is online now, so everyone can jump on their computers to check their own property records here.
Then, and this is where it gets fun, they can also check on anyone else they like.
Naturally, I immediately thought I’d like to know about the politicians in town. But since it’s Saturday, I decided to settle first only for the last few mayors’ homes to see how they stack up.
Mayor Art Ward’s 1978 ranch house at 322 Stevens Street is valued at $255,400.
Former Mayor William Stortz’s 1983 colonial at 31 Oxbow Drive is valued at $345,600.
Former Mayor Frank Nicastro’s 1936 Cape at 80 Beleden Gardens Drive is valued at $244,900. And former Mayor John Leone’s 1975 ranch at 60 Maureen Drive is valued at $312,700.
They’re all living in homes worth just a bit more than average in town, but not by much. I don’t know if that’s good or bad.
Also, because the computer doesn’t offer the assessment from the last time around, I can’t easily tell whether their taxes will rise slower, faster or the same as the norm. We’ll have to look into that later.
Feel free to look up other public officials. We're all curious.

*******
Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I punched in my address and was disturbed to find that the photo was at least 5 years old. This database should be updated. Didn't the reval company take new information?

Anonymous said...

I correct myself....the photo is at least 10 years old because the neighbor's truck in the driveway connected to mine hasn't lived here for over 10 years.

Anonymous said...

thats true, the picture of my house is over 15 years old, when it was a different color,
what at joke, plus my house was build in 1896, but they put down, 1916

Anonymous said...

My neighbor's house is listed as having central air and it doesn't. It never did.

Steve Collins said...

If there are errors on the record for your own property, make an appointment to meet with the reval people this month. They should fix the records and reassess the property.
I am sure everyone involved in the process knows mistakes are inevitable.

Anonymous said...

It' amazing that after three marriages, Nicastro can even own a house.

Anonymous said...

Steve,
One of the reason that there are erros is due to the fact that citizens refused to cooperate with the reval and refused to let assessors in. I'd be curious to know what percentage of homes were actually inspected. I have no explanation as to why the pictures are so dated.

Anonymous said...

I had to call assessors to get my reval done. No one called me or sent me a letter so I called Assessors and asked if I should set up an appointment for someone to inspect the house. The reval company called me a month later, asked me a couple questions and said they didn't need to visit because they asked me what they needed to know over the phone. Now I see the house photo is 10 years old and the information listed is wrong too.

Just for ha-ha's I looked up four of my neighbor's houses. They all had wrong information and the photos were all very old.

Anonymous said...

Looks like I can look forward to another $100.00 a month in taxes. The assessed value of my house rose from $93,770 to $135,520!

Steve Collins said...

Actually, that last person is unlikely to see much of a tax hike.
His or her home value rose 44.5 percent, which is only a tad more than the 44 percent average increase in all properties -- and less than the 47 percent average increase for homes.
So count your blessings, anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Steve,

Why not show the relative total change in residential as a percentage of the overall grand list.
That will give some idea of the increase for homeowners.

Of course, that won't account for any increae in spending.

Steve Collins said...

When I last spoke with Rich Lasky, the assessor, he didn't have all the numbers yet.
But he did say that homes went up an average of 47 percent compared to a 44 percent overall increase. That would mean that houses rose about 6 percent faster than real estate as a whole.
However, Lasky will have firmer numbers this week that will make the picture more clear.

Steve Collins said...

He also told me on Saturday that things are "looking better" on the final tallies than he initially thought. We'll all know soon what that means.

Anonymous said...

What is the new mill rate? It can't be 34.71 because when I do the math, times my assessed value, my taxes go up about 30%. What is the math formula to figure out your taxes?

Steve Collins said...

The mill rate will go down so it's hard to know what tax bills will be in the end. But it's a safe bet that house taxes will rise for most everyone and car taxes decline. If you have costly, newer cars, you might even come out better off.