July 13, 2007

Stortz is not running again

A press release from Mayor William Stortz, just sent out:

Bristol, CT, July 13, 2007—
In a prepared statement, Mayor William T. Stortz made the following announcement. “For the past 32 years I have been involved in Bristol government and Bristol politics in various degrees and many ways. First, as a Republican Town Committee member, then as Town Chairman. I was then elected to the City Council, where I went on to serve five terms. The experience has been wonderful, and all in all, very gratifying. The satisfaction of helping people, solving problems, building for Bristol’s future is difficult to get across to people, until they experience it themselves. I wouldn’t trade it for just about anything,” said Stortz.
“During that time, I have met some wonderful people—Two Presidents, many Governors, numerous Senators and Representatives, as well as State legislators and key business and community leaders and activists. Again, experiences that were made possible by my governmental and political involvement”, Stortz continued.
“At the same time, the many ‘everyday people’, people who make our city what it is, make our society function day by day, the city workers who do what they do despite the politicians, have enriched my life. Then there are the volunteers who give so unselfishly. All have contributed to my awareness and respect for people.
"I have been blest to have been elected Mayor, not once, but twice. Actually three times, but for two full terms. We have had only 19 Mayors in 95 years, and to have been one of them is a great honor; one I respect and will always cherish,” Stortz said.
In addition, Stortz said, “During my 30 plus years, I am proud to say that I have been involved with many key projects and activities in Bristol. From the start of ESPN, here in Bristol under Mike Werner, to the BRRFOC (Ogden Martin, now Covanta), 229 Technology Park, Chippens Hill Middle School, the change on philosophy of our pension investments led by Tom O’Brien, the use of Civilian Dispatchers which I championed, the working towards the Route 72 extension, which is finally becoming a reality, all helped Bristol go forward.
"I also chaired the Bristol effort when the International Special Olympics were held in
Connecticut, took part in the Viet Nam Wall Program, been a Mentor. I have been a part of
Bristol going forward, admittedly a small part, but nevertheless, a part of the progress that has
been made.”
Stortz went on to say, “The recent efforts and training to improve customer service are already showing results, as is the Diversity training that has taken place in the Police Department. Since my inauguration in 2005, we have increased the number of minorities, as well as young people and women serving on city Boards and Commissions by a significant number. With Bristol’s increasing diverse population, this was long overdue.
"With the recent spate of flooding situations, the Flood and Erosion Control was reinstituted and is making solid progress in addressing the City wide flooding issues.
"We are also increasing our infrastructure maintenance, while at the same time, keeping tax increases under control.
"I am confident that the newly formed Bristol Downtown Development Corporation is the right way to make progress with the Mall site, and with creating a vibrant Downtown.”
Stortz remarked, “This term as mayor has been interesting and rewarding. Many things have been accomplished, albeit without fanfare and publicity. My approach has been to work on the basics, put Bristol and good government before politics. Not always accepted by politicians, not always noticed, but always for a better Bristol.
"I do owe Bristol and its people an awful lot, and I do try to repay my debts. I love my job, despite the long hours, despite some of the obstacles. While it is frustrating at times, it is also quite rewarding. The smiles, the sincere thank you, the seeing people, especially young people, grow and develop: that is priceless. Again, I wouldn’t trade those experiences for just about anything. Sometimes I wish it could go on forever.
"However, that is not something one totally controls. Being a Republican in a Democrat town is not easy, and it is doubly difficult when one doesn’t play politics. But I have proven that a Republican can get elected despite the odds and the difficulty. Actually, my record is pretty good, having won over 3/4 of my elections. As I said, I love my job.”
He went on to say, “But, I also love my wife who has stood by me all these years: 41 of marriage, 32 of politics. While many times I was “getting the glory” Angela, like other spouses stood on the sidelines, in the background, or at home. She sacrificed quite a bit for me. I know it hurt me when I was criticized for some of my decisions, but I am sure it hurt her, too.”
Said Stortz, “As we approach another election, decision time is upon us. Two years ago, I ran after much deliberation, and was fortunate enough to get elected. Angela knew what lie ahead, but she was very supportive, and still is. She knows how much I put into being Mayor and how much being Mayor is part of my life. My decision as to what to do is made less difficult, because I know she would stand behind whatever I chose to do. We have had discussions, just as I have had with some of the party leadership. Contrary to what some would believe, while I am a thinking person, and do make my own decisions, I do listen to the input of others. I try to do things right, I try to do the right thing. The response of the party leadership has been quite interesting, but meaningful, and played a key role in my thought process.
"Part of my philosophy comes from the Serenity Prayer: Lord, give me the courage to change what can be changed, the patience to accept what can’t be changed, and the wisdom to know the difference. That certainly applies to being Mayor.”
Stortz concluded, “Knowing what lies ahead for the City, what the opportunities are, as well as the challenges, knowing that while I have started to build a foundation, that there is much work to be done, and that there would be much opposition to the approach and goal, made me think long and hard. I love Bristol, I love the job, but as I said, I love my wife, my family and do enjoy the time I spend with my grandchildren. All of those figured into my decision.
"I have always advised those interested in getting involved in politics, that their health, their family, and if they have full time job other than politics, that job should come first.
"I would be remiss if I did not remind myself of that advice. At the same time, I also say that one works to retire to be able to do what they want, to do what they enjoy, and I do enjoy my job. However, ones retirement years are limited, and to be able to spend more time with my wife and family is something we all look forward to.
"I love what I am doing, but I love my wife and family more. Therefore, I am today announcing that I will not be seeking the Republican nomination for Mayor.”

***
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

No comments: