February 12, 2010

Matthews-Rosenthal spat plays out in emails

The following are copies of emails sent back and forth this week between city Councilor Kate Matthews and Jonathan Rosenthal, the city's economic development director. I can't say for sure that I have copies of all of them, but I obtained at least many of the relevant emails. I have a Freedom of Information request filed for all of them, just in case.
The entire back-and-forth was CC'd to the entire City Council, city lawyers and others. Many people have copies.
Now all of you do, too:

From Kate Matthews 2/8/2010 8:53 AM
To Jonathan Rosenthal, economic development director; Mayor Art Ward; and Debbie Shapiro (BDA)
Gentlemen and Ms. Shapiro:
On Saturday, I received a phone call from Tom Read, of 151 High Street in Bristol. He obtained a grant from the City in 2004 to help him reroof his historic, Federal Hill home. Now, he and his wife seek to refinance their home, but are apparently unable to do so because the City has a "lien" on their home, arising out of this grant. According to Mr. Read, he has sought from the BDA (through Ms. Shapiro and Mr. Rosenthal) a "subordination" of this lien, which could clear title to the property and enable the Reads to take out a second mortgage. Mr. Read has represented to me that there is substantial equity in the home, approximately $45,000 even after the refinance, sufficient to provide the City with security for the $2,600 lien (which reduces by 10% every year the Reads occupy the home and will extinguish itself in four years).
Based upon what I've been told by Mr. Read, as set forth in his attached letter and grant document, this seems like a reasonable request to me. Subordinating the lien won't cost the City a dime, but will have a tremendous positive effect on the lives of Mr. and Nrs. Read, who are long-time Bristol residents who plan to live out the rest of their lives in their High Street home.
Mr. Read has informed me that time is of the essence, as the Reads had originally planned to close tomorrow afternoon. As you can see in his letter, he requested that a subordination be executed by the end of the day today. I advised Mr. Read that City government requires time to deliberate issues like these, and that his deadline did not appear to me to be feasible. Nevertheless, I wish to convey to you the urgency of the Reads' position.
Mr. Mayor, for your information, Mr. Read told me that he planned to stop by your office today to discuss this matter with you.
Thank you for your assistance. Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have. As well, I would appreciate it if you could keep me informed as to the status of this matter.
Sincerely,
Kate Matthews

From Jonathan Rosenthal 02/08/10 2:26 PM
Dear Councilwoman* Matthews:
I met with Mr. Read this morning and the Mayor Ward this morning and the matter has been dealt with.
Jonathan Rosenthal, AICP, CEcD
Executive Director
Bristol Development Authority
*The official title is Councilman but it seems impolite to me.


From Tom Read to Kate Matthews
Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:35 AM
Subject: Possible solution
Hi Kate,
I believe that I may have a possible solution to the impasse between me and the BDA. My solution is quite simple, but I'll need to speak with the Tax Collector tomorrow in order to confirm that it is a workable plan. What I have in mind is to advance pay our property taxes in the amount of $3250. This is a little less than two years advance tax payment. In the past, the Bristol Tax Collector would receive advance payments and keep them credited to the taxpayer's tax record so I don't believe that is a problem. Then, once each year I'll short pay our taxes in the amount of $650 until the tax surplus is extinguished in 5 years. The plan would require an agent of the City to be present holding a release upon the Grant agreement that was filed upon the Land Records of our home, and to accept the check for $3250.
I like this approach because my wife and I did qualify for the grant in 2004, and we are entitled to its full benefit -- one way or the other. I regret that I'll be paying interest upon my own money, but that is far better than giving it back to the BDA who have already said that if I did so in order to release the cloud upon our title it could not be refunded. Mr. Rosenthal may not like the solution because the funds are out of his reach, but I'm sure he can come up with a creative plan and instrument to place a cloud upon the Tax Collectors office. Meanwhile, the City has the funds in its coffers at all times. Mr. Rosenthal's personal inability to respect the common dignity, privacy, and property rights, of this family will not ever be an issue again.
My wife and I are highly stressed at this time. She fears that I may charge a windmill (I will not), and I am frustrated about all the difficulty that attempting to access our own ample equity has caused. As an example, my credit rating has dropped 10 points in the past month due to the credit report inquiries in December, January, and now February, that have resulted from our mortgage attempts. This plan would at least get this matter over, and we could conserve some measure of benefit from the so-called Grant.
Your reaction would be greatly appreciated if you have a few moments to comment. Thank you for your consideration.
Best Regards,
Tom Read

From Matthews to Rosenthal
2/10/2010 8:23 AM
Dear Jonathan,
In the future, I would appreciate it if you would provide a little more detail rather than summarily stating that a particular matter into which I have inquired has been "dealt with". That is not a sufficient response, especially when I have taken the time to address the matter in detail for your reference and convenience. Furthermore, it does not necessarily represent the "status" of the matter, which is what I asked for. By way of example, this particular matter has clearly not been "dealt with", as evidenced by the fact that Mr. Read sent me the enclosed email at 12:26 this morning. Please address and provide me with a brief but informative update. Thank you for your assistance.
Kate


From Rosenthal to Matthews
02/10/10 7:58 AM

Dear Councilwoman Matthews:
Perhaps it would interest you that Mr. Read came in here and presented himself in an intimidating manner. I reported that to the police chief.
You might find some of his history documented on the internet.
And although it would be much easier to remain silent on this matter, so please forgive me being straightforward, may I suggest, with all humility and sincerity, that a ppersonal phone discussion is the most appropriate way to address complex matters?
As with many complaints, there may be additional information that would be helpful to know before rendering an opinion.
The staff has acted appropriately and followed the both guidelines and precedent. I fully back the staff's handing of this matter.
The Chairman of the BDA Policy Committee has been fully briefed and is in support of staff responses.
Mr. Read had the ability to appeal to the Board which meets on the 22nd of month, and was advised so, a date which was not to his liking.
Regardless, I am sorry if you are unhappy with the response but if you would like more information you will need to speak to Mayor Ward.
Sincerely yours,
Jonathan Rosenthal

From Matthews to Rosenthal
2/10/2010 3:03 PM

Jonathan,
If your response requires a personal phone call, then I expect you to make it. Either you are or you are not available to answer questions posed directly to you by members of the City Council regarding BDA matters. I have no issue with how your staff handled the matter with Mr. Read. I am concerned solely with your conduct and the tenor of your recent e-mails. If there are further updates to be made on this BDA matter, I expect you - not the Mayor = to keep me apprised. After all, he is very busy doing his own job and should not also be burdened with the duties of your position.
Kate Matthews

From Rosenthal to Matthews
02/11/10 9:01 AM
Dear Councilwoman Matthews,
Please let me make it clear to you and all those you been sharing this with that I have responded to as instructed by the mayor. The MAYOR wanted to update you and it isn't my place to circumvent his wishes. When Councilman Cockayne called me I answered all his questions. I am both a helpful and responsive person who also tries to follow instructions. The Mayor became involved by the nature of your first email communication.
While I appreciate your desire for a more detailed response, I feel I am being placed in a no-win situation -- to follow the rules, respond as you wish, and to follow orders. I don't understand why this little drama is being played out before the entire City Council. It's really simple and I really do want to be helpful and I think
you really would benefit by speaking with the mayor as he suggested rather than suggesting anything about my conduct which has been above board and appropriate.
I called you and left you a phone message a few moments ago. I would have avoided an additional email but I think it's important that the other members of the Council know that I am trying to respond appropriately and that I really am responding appropriately to the citizen.
Thank you for your consideration. I would certainly like to do anything I can to repair this mis-communication. Please consider calling.
Jonathan Rosenthal

From Matthews to Rosenthal
Jonathan,
You put this email chain before the entire City Council when you hit "reply all" and sent your puzzling, condescending, and substantively inadequate email to me on February 8, 2010 at 3:26 p.m.
Respectfully, I have recently spoken to Mayor Ward, who has informed me that you should be responding to my direct inquiries in this particular BDA matter, as that is part of your job. You'll excuse me if I take him at his word.
I reported this BDA matter to you on Monday, February 8, 2010 at 8:53 a.m. In that email, I asked to be kept apprised of the status of this matter. As I stated in a prior email to you, if your response to my request requires a personal phone call, then I expect you to make it. Your attempt to call me for the first time today, after three days of antagonistic emails, and then report to the Mayor and City Council that you are being helpful and responsive, is both disingenuous and transparent.
I made a simple request. Not only have you failed to respond to my request, you've turned what could have been a polite and professional interaction between us into something less than pleasant. That is unfortunate.
I sincerely hope that your behavior and negative attitude, as evidenced by your emails, is not representative of the way you typically carry out the duties of your position.
Kate Matthews
*******
Copyright 2010. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

49 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get rid of them both..problem solved

Anonymous said...

Matthews; fighting for the "great unwashed". Hey Kate, what about us normal, middle class people who obey the law, pay our bills and our taxes? Oh that's right you're a Democrat.

Anonymous said...

Hey let little Katie play. Maybe some day she'll grow up or end up like her friends Ellen and Bysiewicz...OUT OF OFFICE (hopefully the latter).

Anonymous said...

On behalf of everyone who has put up with his crap for years. Thank you CouncilWOMAN.

Anonymous said...

Damn.

There for the grace of god go it , with an angry female (can I say that ?) snipping at my heels .

ps great post

Anonymous said...

Finally, I can agree with Kate on something. Rosenthal is inept, and it's tragic that the Reed family needs to have personal financial matters published like this.

Anonymous said...

Good for you Mathews. Don't let the weasel Rosenthal push you around. Looks to me like he's trying to blame the Mayor for Rosenthal not doing his job.

Anonymous said...

How can Rosenthal possibly call Mathews? That would mean he'd have to put down his camera to respond!
Looks to me like Mathews is quickly learning why Rosenthal just made getting reappointed a couple years ago. Ward was the vote to keep him here, now Rosenthal is throwing him under the bus.

Anonymous said...

Neither Matthews or Rosenthal have demonstarated any level of intelligence or consideration toward handling this problem in an adult like matter.

However, in this rare case I have to side with Mr. Rosenthal as Councilnanny Mattlews seems more proped up on what she is to be called then to seek a solution.

Instead she has turned this into a proverbial wee wee match!

One more thing...if this guy can afford to front load his taxes, why did he get a grant?

Anonymous said...

Isn't this the councilman who appointeed a criminal to the charter board?

Anonymous said...

You go girl!!

Anonymous said...

Evidently Rosenthal is the heavy bag the local Dumb-o-crat bulleys like to work out on. First Suchinski now this all in one week! Katie would better serve the community returning to school or moving to another state.

Anonymous said...

Artie will cover for Rosenthal, just as he has done in the past!

Anonymous said...

Meow!

disappointed by Matthews said...

Can't Read take care of his own business? The city gives him $6,000 (courtesy of the taxpayers) and he's still ungrateful?
And why is Kate Matthews spending so much time on this? Aren't there more important things she could be addressing such as public safety concerns resulting from the increased traffic cutting through Federal Hill thanks to the new Route 72? I smell more cronie-ism. Is Matthews shameless or does she just think we're all stupid?

Anonymous said...

Wow, Rosenthal must not have anything better to do today, he is posting all over this blog.

Anonymous said...

Ward,

When are you going to see Rosenthal is going to take you down with him. He makes you look like a fool! Come on Arty, get ride of the dead weight!

Anonymous said...

Where is Cockayne on this?

Isn't he the link between BDA and the Council.

Awful quiet lately.

Anonymous said...

Matthews definitely looks like the loser in this clash.

Anonymous said...

Isn't there something more iomportant we could be posting about?

Anonymous said...

12:09 Who says you are normal ? You ?

Anonymous said...

HEY 10;10 If she didn't do her job you would complain about that too> Silly little Republicant's. I would stay anonymous too if I were a sicko like you .

Anonymous said...

Good for Kate for not backing down, the real issue here that some of you may not understand is that Rosenthal has a huge problem with women. So for him to take this from a women, and in front of the other Councilmen is outrageous to him. While I do agree it's a bit much, the truth is, the Mayor does protect him for some reason but notice how Rosenthal threw the mayor under the bus. That footnote from him saying the correct term is councilman but that seems impolite, is a definite hit to Kate. This guy has to stop fooling all of you...he's not as innocent as he may plead he is.

Anonymous said...

COCKYANE HAS NEW FRIEND CAT SPEEK unless Stortz gives him the ok and mills aproves.

Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB BY THE COUNCILWOMEN!!

Oh johnny boy in my opinion is an idiot, finally someone calls him out for what he is, a do nothing fat slob with bad dandruff.

Why this fool is in charge of building a better Bristol is beyond me.

Anonymous said...

We were warned about Rosenthal, but Ward and Nicastro stood up for him: the rest is history.

Anonymous said...

1: I want a new roof paid for by the city with a lein that disappears after a certain amount of time. What a hell of a deal the Read's got!

2: Matthews is starting to show a side to her that was hidden before. Pick up the damn phone and discuss the issue. She should have stopped the email tag game the minute Rosenthal said the situation was dealt with by the Mayor.

I'm not a Rosenthal fan at all - he should have been fired years ago, but this time I have to say Matthews is the one that is wrong.

Anonymous said...

Suchinski --- posting over and over and over and over.............

Anonymous said...

7:58

I thought that Cockayne was in bed with Mocabee and Schafferick

Anonymous said...

welcome to the old Boys club kate. how ya liking it so far?

Anonymous said...

11:00

Are you talking about Ward or Rosenthal?

Anonymous said...

Bristol is full of lossers like these two they run our town.

Anonymous said...

This spat with Rosenthal is probably all a made up incident (by the Democrats) to distract from Matthews' appointment of Bruce Suchinski to the Charter Revision Panel.

They don't want the public to pay attention to this:

http://articles.courant.com/2007-11-03/news/0711030541_1_superior-court-robbery-larceny


Charged With Larceny

NEW BRITAIN -- Bruce Suchinski resigned as a state marshal four years ago but never stopped collecting court-ordered debts on behalf of creditors, according to police.

But Suchinski didn't pay the creditors and, instead, pocketed the money, investigators said Friday.

Suchinski, 57, was charged Friday with second-degree larceny and criminal impersonation, and could face up to more than 10 years in prison if convicted, according to state investigators.

Suchinski stole nearly $6,000 between July of 2004 and September of this year, according to the state criminal justice division. As a marshal, he collected debts through court-ordered wage executions on behalf of creditors, and apparently kept collecting the payments after he resigned, according to investigators.

Suchinski, of 467 Farmington Ave., Bristol, was arraigned Friday at Superior Court in New Britain, and will return on Dec. 6.

Anonymous said...

Matthews 2011: Fighting for the people who rip off the state and the city and all the tax-payers.

Anonymous said...

LOL -- I was intimidated by a citizen and notified the police chief! LMAO! Rosenthal needs to go!

Anonymous said...

Gee who would these whiners stop whining about unless it was a republican. Useless whiners still at it . What was it you've done for your community at all? Nothing but being babyish.

Anonymous said...

5:44, I think he's talking about you!

Anonymous said...

February 14, 2010 3:21 PM:

Now that's what Schaffrick would like!

Anonymous said...

Mr. Read seems to have the money to pay the city back for the grant and move this whole process along. Ms. Matthews looks to have promised something she could not deliver without getting all the facts first. The terms of the grant are clear and the BDA staff was doing their job. Mr. Read did not like the answer so now this whole thing has to play out in public. Mr. Rosenthal is right by following the rules in this case and gave Mr. Read an option to come before the BDA at their next meeting. Had the rules been bent then how would this have played out once it became public?
As for the emails and any misunderstandings when in doubt pick up the phone! This could have been handled much more professionally by all parties (Read, Matthews and Rosenthal).

Anonymous said...

Run away and hide Art.

Your biggest problem is trying to decide who to listen to: Klocko, Krawiecki or Rosenthal.

Anonymous said...

February 15, 2010 9:04 AM:

But you forgot to add that Read is a friend of Ellen Zoppo's and Ellen Zoppo tells Katie what to do.

Anonymous said...

1:20

And maybe that is why Ward won't do anything about it!

Anonymous said...

Or maybe Read is a friend on Minor, no matter it's the same thing. Not so little (albeit young) Katie is clueless.

past history isn't always good history said...

1:47 - ellen who?

Anonymous said...

"This whole thing is playing out in public" because JR leaked it to Steve Collins. That was a totally unprofessional thing to do.

Anonymous said...

These two "adults" need to grow up (so do 75% of these posters, for that matter). Is this the likes of who our City government is run by? Ridiculous. This City is a joke.

Anonymous said...

Past history...:

You might have a point (in your blind stupor). This Read guy is probably buddies with newbie hack Elliott C. Nelson (who lives in the same 'hood).

small hope but said...

12:20 - take that "hood" that you referred to, pull it over your head and tie it off with a couple feet of rope slung over an oak tree - maybe you'll be human in your next life.

bring the trash to the dump said...

February 16, 2010 6:25 PM:

Oh that's nice and creative too (not). You're a true blue belligerant piece of trash. Do the world a favor and get incinerated (in hell).