September 4, 2008

Mike Parks dies at age 58

A key employee for the Bristol Development Authority, 58-year-old Mike Parks, died of a heart attack last night.
Parks was a housing rehabilitation expert who looked after programs to help people fix up homes and businesses.
“Mike was a very dedicated, conscientious employee who was always looking to provide assistance and guidance to anybody under his purview,” Mayor Art Ward said.
Ward said that Parks was joking around and happy yesterday, but died of a heart attack about 1 a.m.
“For me, he was also a good friend,” Ward said.
Parks was married to the city’s tax collector, Mildred Parks.
On a personal note, I have to say that Mike was unfailingly helpful to me and a good man besides.
I recall one time when I had some story that didn't quite say what Mike thought it should. On reflection, I agreed with him and apologized for missing the mark. He told me I was allowed to get it wrong once and proceeded to continue being as decent as always.
My sympathies to Millie and his whole family.

*******
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

RIP, Mike. We'll miss you.

Anonymous said...

It's a loss for the city, but even more for his family. A nice guy who was dedicated to his wife, kids and grandkids. My heart goes out to them.

Anonymous said...

My condolences to Millie.

Anonymous said...

Mike was a dedicated city employee and an all around great guy.

I agree RIP Mike. God took you too soon.

Anonymous said...

City Hall won't be the same. Mike always left people with a smile.

Anonymous said...

Please don't respond in a negative fashion as I am only making an objective observation - isn't it amazing that every site on this blog which depicts a deserved recognition for being a nice person or recognizing someone/organization for performing some positive action(s)always receives the least amount of postings - of any sort?....

Anonymous said...

Mike sponsored a softball team at Page Park for many years. Park Brothers, many folks benefited from Mike's good nature, and kindness. Bristol needs more Mike Parks, It will be a large loss for Bristol.
My families prayer will go out to his family, hoping, knowing he is still in good hands, will ease their pain.