October 30, 2007

Johnson talks about city contracts

Republican mayoral contender Ken Johnson wrote this letter on Friday night or Saturday morning. I just got a copy today, so here it is:

I am writing in reply to the Saturday Bristol Press article that attributes comments to me about City contracts.
In Wednesday night’s debate, I was asked if I was satisfied that all City bids, contracts and hirings are done completely above board. My answer was ‘no’ based on an experience I recalled from 2006. The situation I was referring to was the city’s plan to hire a real estate brokerage to help the city dispose of surplus city-owned properties. The awarding of the contract to an out-of–town real estate company and the perception that local companies were not given every reasonable consideration upset many Bristol-based companies that were interested in the work.
I feel badly that several elected officials got so angry about this. I choose to believe there must be some misunderstanding because I am certain that our elected leaders, on both sides of the aisle, feel like I do – that we’d all like to see qualified local businesses get city work. I choose to believe that the Real Estate committee was acting in the best interest of the city and followed proper procedure when it made its choice. However, if there were numerous businesses questioning the process and feeling left out, then something is wrong with the process.
I stand by my answer because I was being honest. Unfortunately some people didn’t like my answer. But, as many are finding out, I do not mince words. If I am asked a question, I give an honest response and stand by it.
I’m a citizen of Bristol, like you, who cares a lot about my city. As your mayor, I pledge to be honest, to act with integrity, to listen respectfully to your point of view and to restore civility to our politics.
The full text of my comments to the Bristol Press about this matter can be found at http://bristolnews.blogspot.com/ under the heading "Johnson explains his comment on city contracts."
It is time to Put Bristol First. I hope to see you at the polls on Nov. 6th; I would be humbled and honored to be your mayor.
Ken Johnson
BristolRepublican candidate for mayor



*******
Copyright 2007. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this mea cupa a new tactic being employed by johnson to intentionally deceive the voters into believing that he is not the real "Bristol Bashing" hothead that we have all seen him to be throughout this campaign? Not working ken, too late.

Anonymous said...

Geez give the guy a break! Are you ever honest!

Anonymous said...

I approached Becky Berarducci, the owner of Berarducci Realtors about putting together a proposal for the real estate contract after reading about it in the Bristol Press.

Maybe if Ken Johnson had been as proactive as the Berarducci group he would have had a chance at getting the contract.

This is just proof that Johnson was beat out by a business that knew what it was doing.

Ken, if you had a better mind for business, you would have known to prepare a proposal for the Real Estate committee. You can't blame the committee for your faults. Neither can the rest of the real estate agents in town. It wasn't a secret, you guys just missed the ball.

The City doesn't send out golden engraved invitations and they shouldn't have to. They advertised as they are required to AND there was an article in the paper.

Anonymous said...

In Ken's defense I think he did submit a proposal to the real estate committee. But I disagree with showing favoritism to in town businesses. It would turn into a breeding ground for coruption and discourage business from out of town from even offering proposal knowing that someone else already had the upper hand.

Anonymous said...

Ken, don’t worry about the bashing by “anonymous.” Apparently this person doesn’t know the first thing about business. They probably don’t even pay any real estate taxes to the City of Bristol.

Anonymous said...

Ken,
How did you get YOUR Real Estate deal (not contract) with the city just a few years ago???

Honest answer please.

Anonymous said...

Johnson keeps whining about the contracts that he didn't get, why doesn't he talk about the contract that he did get, the contract that he promised to get the city hundreds of thousands of dollars from his former employer - CL&P, the contract that he grabbed the city for $10,000.00 and produced nothing, the contract that he never fulfilled for the city, the contract where he took the 10,000.00, divested himself of ownership in his company, leaving the city high and dry so that he could seek the more lucrative position of Bristol Mayor, the contract wherby the city was left with the closest Municipal Energy contact living and doing business from his Florida site?
Where's the money? Where's the results?
Talk about selling snake oil? Talk about taking your city for a ride down an empty alley? First time, shame on Johnson, second time, shame on us.
Vote for Ward.

Anonymous said...

9:54 PM BLOGGER
If you knew the solid facts about the Municipal Energy situation, you would shut up! Mayor Stortz was the one that pushed the conflict of interest envelope! Mr. Johnson and his friend/partner Jim Krone have been working on this issue with the streetlight overcharges for a number of years TOGETHER, they have compiled the info TOGETHER, Ken represents about 50 Municipalities in the state of CT and no one has a problem with him but BRISTOL. The project is in full force and progress is being made. This is not something that is resolved overnight, it is a work in progress.So unless you are educated in the field, I assume you are not that you take a step back and let the professionals do the job that they set out to do! This problem was going on with Bristol and Municipal Energy long before MR Johnson decided that he would run for Mayor! There was actually some conversation a while back in regards to a meeting that Mr J. had at cityhall re: Municipal Energy, Mayor Stortz sent out a blog that stated he had not had any communication with Johnson re: the streetlight refund in some time. Well guess what MR.Johnson was in the other room explaining exactly what the steps were going forward! BE CAREFUL OF WHOM YOU GET YOU INFO FROM, YOU ARE MAKING AN A** OUT OF YOURSELF!

Anonymous said...

4:27 pm Poster!
Ken, if you had a better mind for business, you would have known to prepare a proposal for the Real Estate committee.

HE DID PREPARE AND SUBMIT A PROPOSAL!

So much for your gossip retention!

Anonymous said...

9:54pm and 11:17 am
I do not know either of you(well maybe I do)
Anyhow,I have been copied in on some progress the Municipal Energy has made since winning the contract to represent The City Of Bristol in the Streetlight refund. Back in March of 2007 when the contract was signed by the city, CL&P had offered the City Of Bristol $87,000. As of August 27,07 the estimated amount calculated by Municipal energy was $176,000.00 The newest information that I have obtained shows a signifigant rise in the dollar amount in Bristols favor, the newest progected refund is $203,205.00 "And with the input from Bristol the refund number should significantly rise." This is true factual information. So to the 11:17 am blogger, you are on the right track, to 9:54 pm sorry, you ARE the Weakest Link!

Anonymous said...

calculated by Municipal Energy? Is there any credibility or acknowledgement of validity of this or is it mere speculation? Soulds like another johnson sham to me.

Anonymous said...

1:03pm I have personally seen the proof, it is a matter of new found lights and removals. I dont get caught up in this type of forum but this did catch my eye. I would expect that this is public knowlege, you could probably go to City Hall ask for the Contract, look at the figure, then ask for a press release dated Aug 27,07 then there is the latest 10/29 addressed to Mayor Stortz. Check it out!

Anonymous said...

seems as though you have a lot of information for someone who is not connected to the issues at hand.

Anonymous said...

Well you asked now didnt you!

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm Maybe I work at City Hall and I called out sick today! Maybe I hate my job and dont like deceit, just maybe I have the truth about a few issues that need to be clarified MAYBE YOU KNOW NOTHING!!