April 23, 2008

City still angling for $4 million for Rockwell Park

Three years ago, the state bonding package approved by the legislature earmarked $4 million for the renovation of Rockwell Park.
But the money has never turned up.
Mayor Art Ward said this week that he’s hoping the allocation will find its way into the budget that state lawmakers have to pass by May 7.
“I’m hoping for Christmas in May,” Ward said.
Though the money has been held up for years, the project itself is well underway.
The city has allocated $4 million of its own money for the overhaul of the historic park, the first phase of which is nearing completion.
Another $2.5 million is needed to complete the final phase, which includes refilling a portion of the long-neglected lagoon.
Ward said that if the state cash is included in the budget, the city will likely take the opportunity to reallocate some of its own money toward other badly needed projects that had to be postponed for lack of funds.
Former Mayor Gerard Couture put the park's rehabilitation on the front burner when he called for a $10 million overhaul of all the city's parks back in 2004.
When ex-state Rep. Kosta Diamantis got legislation passed the following spring to direct $4 million into the Rockwell Park plan, it appeared the project would move along speedily.But Gov. M. Jodi Rell has refused to put the $4 million on the State Bond Commission agenda, and some officials have said they’re not sure it was ever really earmarked.
Rell hasn't specifically said why the Rockwell Park money hasn't had her support, though she has complained that too many projects have been earmarked for state bonding.
In 2007, the city agreed to start the Rockwell Park renovations despite hearing nothing about the $4 million it expected to receive.
Officials said the work has to be done, one way or another, and the lack of state help couldn’t be allowed to delay the project further.
“I'm conservative, not a big spender, but it's time to move forward," Board of Finance Chairman Rich Miecznikowski said last May.
The project’s goal is to pump life back into a dying park, to bring people back into one of the city's crown jewels, an 87-acre park that industrialist Albert Rockwell donated during the Progressive Era.

Here's the 2005 act that includes the Rockwell Park money

And here's an OPM spreadsheet that shows the state hadn't entirely forgotten the money as of Janary 2007


*******
Copyright 2008. All rights reserved.
Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry , I the State won't come and bail out a poorly run Bristol , the taxpayers will gleefully take out second , third , and fourth mortgages just to see how far the leaders are willing to go before they get hauled away in straight jackets .


We Don't Need No Stinkin' City Manager !!!!

Anonymous said...

Where's Kosta when we need him???

And Ellen?

Anonymous said...

Thank God for Jodi Rell.

Anonymous said...

Can't Representative Nicastro help?

Anonymous said...

A couple of months ago I inquired about the $4 million at the Park Revitalization meeting and was told, to the amazement of the Cmte., the funding was not even on the Bonding list.It obviously needs to be on the list before it can be placed on the agenda.When I inquired with every member of our legislative delegation to see where the money went,Reps Burns and Nicastro responded immeadiately.Rep.Boukus a little later.Rep. Hamzy emailed and asked for my home phone so he could call but has yet to do so(somewhat surprised by that).Sen. Colapietro has simply blown me off(no surprise there).Answers I've received so far vary.Hope I will be given the courtesy of a response from the others.

Anonymous said...

And why don't you tell Colapietro who you are so he can defend himself? Or are you lying again? I know the latter. He has been working on this for about two weeks. Call his office he doesn't lie or play lying politics like you. I urge all who read from liars on this blog to ignore their lies.Tim Gamache never even talked to Colapietro . I asked him.

Anonymous said...

In case anyone wants to know there is a record his office keeps of who called. His number is in the blue pages.Colapietro's office that is .

Anonymous said...

I just spoke with Sen. Colapietro about an unrelated issue and asked him about this. He said that neither he nor his office got a call from Tim Gamache.

Anonymous said...

Bring back Kosta!

Anonymous said...

Senator Colapietro has one of the more responsive offices up there. His staff is good and they do follow-up. I think Tim Gamache should check what number he called.

Anonymous said...

For the record,my attempt to contact Sen. Colapietros' office was via email,ergo no record of my calling him.Perhaps I'll try.Also,I used my name and did not lie either.I received no reply to my email.

Anonymous said...

Email's get lost many different ways. But what about the rest? You insinuated in your comments that it was no suprize there. Have you ever tried to contact him before?

Anonymous said...

Thought I would let readers know I phoned Sen. Colapietros' office this morning.The FIRST thing I did was to ask the very polite and courteous young woman who answered to please extend my sincerest apologies to the Sen. for my totally unwarranted remarks on this blog.I was shooting my mouth off before engaging the mind.I had ample oppurtunities(WW1 ceremony Sat. AM) to speak with the Sen. on this issue but chose not to avail myself of the chance.Bottom line is I just got "stupid!"
The Senators' staff were extremely polite and informative.I learned that the Senator is INDEED asking for the $4 million to be placed on the bonding list and subsequently on the OPM agenda.
Once again,my apologies to the Senator and his staff.

Anonymous said...

If I am to understand the situation correctly .....

The 'improvements' currently being performed @ the Rockwell Park fiasco were NOT !!! funded prior to start of proceedings ???


I seem to recall once having a wife that did similar things , but , that didn't cost the taxpayers of the City of Bristol a penny .

Anonymous said...

I can understand why you no longer have that wife. If you have another you probably you wont have her long either. You seem to have your story mixed up . But what's new?

Anonymous said...

Ward will not support ANYTHING that will make Zoppo look good.

Anonymous said...

Whatsa matter ? No whining ? Ignoring the truth ?
Poor baby !!

Anonymous said...

8:39, I'm sure that Ward, along with the rest of us, couldn't care less. Time to get over it.

Anonymous said...

Will the state bond for a Spa in the Park???