February 21, 2013

Wilson: 'Qualified to lead'

Here is a copy of an email that Board of Education Chairman Chris Wilson sent this week to members of Bristol's Democratic Town Committee:

Democratic Town Committee Members:

I’d like to take this opportunity to introduce myself.  Many of you I know, but some I do not.  Some may not know my background, so I thought I’d send this email to give you a snapshot of Chris Wilson and why I believe I could be Mayor.  I have been trying to call as many of  you as possible and will continue to do so over the intervening weeks and months.
PERSONAL:  I married my wife Jill, a nurse,  in 1977.  After completing my military commitment, Jill and I worked as US missionaries for United Methodist Church, spending a year in El Paso, Texas, and a year in the Appalachian Mountains in Kentucky .  In 1980, we  returned to Bristol and raised three children.  We are now blessed to have five beautiful grandchildren living in town.
EDUCATION:  I graduated from Framingham North High School in Framingham, Massachusetts, in 1973.  (Yes, I am 58.)  I attended the University of Bridgeport from 1973-1975, where I studied and played football, one of my passions.  I entered the US Army in May of 1975 and served until May 1978.  While in the Army, I was stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey, and was able to continue my college education  at the College of New Jersey in Trenton, and in May of 1978, I received a BA in Liberal Arts with a concentration in Sociology.  In 1983 I enrolled in a graduate program at the University of Hartford and received a Master of Science from the Barney School of Business with a concentration in insurance in 1987.  I also have attained two professional certifications from the American College-Chartered Property and Casualty Underwriter and Chartered Life Underwriter.  Both programs require passing of 10 national examinations.

BUSINESS:  For the past 32 years I have been an employee of C.V. Mason & Co., Inc.  In 1992 I bought the company from my father-in-law and have run the company as its president since that time.  During my tenure we acquired four insurance agencies to grow Bristol-based C.V. Mason & Co. from 6 employees to 15.  During my tenure as an insurance agent, I have been fortunate enough to serve on several agency/company councils interfacing with many Fortune 1000 CEOs and management of insurance companies.  The running of my own company and my interaction with insurance companies have shaped and informed me of best-practice management, human relations, marketing and public service.

PUBLIC  SERVICE:  I have a long history of public service and I won’t bore you with it all.  Some of my highlights are member of the boards of directors of Bristol Day Care Center, The family Center for Girls and Boys,  United Way, New York Annual Conference (a United Methodist Organization) and  Greater Bristol Chamber of Commerce.  I am a past President of Bristol Rotary, McCabe-Waters Little League, CT Professional Insurance Agents Association and ASCNET of CT(an insurance agency management organization).  Currently I am president of West Cemetery Association and president of Trustees at Prospect United Methodist Church.  I have also served as a member of the Bristol Board of Education for 9 ½ years with the last year as chair.  I have served on a Charter Revision committee and the Mayor's Task Force on efficiency and fiscal matters. 
I believe my education, work experience, and public service make me qualified to lead the City of Bristol.  I believe I can be a leader who collaborates when necessary and makes decisions in the best interest of Bristol.  I realize it will be a significant and challenging task and I know I come at it from a very unconventional perspective, but I believe that can be an asset given these fiscal times and the difficult challenges facing Bristol in the next couple of years.   
As I said earlier, this is just a snapshot of who I am.  I look forward to getting to know each of you in the coming months.  I want to share a vision where the party can prosper, but more importantly, Bristol can prosper.  The public expects more of government and I believe I can help change the culture in Bristol so that city leaders can meet and exceed some of those expectations.


Christopher C. Wilson  CPCU, CLU
Insurance Agent
Copyright 2013. All rights reserved. Contact Steve Collins at scollins@bristolpress.com

No comments: