May 22, 2007

Ken Cockayne, GOP council hopeful, speaking to Republicans

Here's Ken Cockayne's speech to the Republican Town Committee:

I believe many of you already know me but for those who don’t my name is Ken Cockayne. Tonight I’m announcing my run for councilman in the 2nd district. I ask for your endorsement and support.
I’m a self employed insurance agent with my office located downtown for the past 17yrs. As a 4th generation life long resident of Bristol raising my 7yr old son, I have watched our downtown deteriorate and the West End quickly turning into slums. I’ve watched as tax paying families have moved out of Bristol only to move one or two towns away. I’ve watch our politicians positioning themselves for the next election instead of taking care of our city! It’s time for this to stop!!
I commend the current and past administrations for their time, often listening to nothing but complaints and criticism. However it’s time for a change. It’s time to bring a business attitude to the city instead of politicians!
My decision to run has not been a quick or easy one. Only after many months and meetings with Ken Johnson and Bob Merrick have I decided, together we have the same goals and outlook for our city. I’m honored to be part of a team that I believe can make a huge difference in the future of Bristol. A town we can all be proud of, not only for us but for our children.
As we sit here tonight Bristol has many issues on the horizon. We have a downtown mall that is costing tax dollars each day it sits vacant! There has been discussion of a couple new schools costing around 100 million dollars! These are just a couple of issues facing our city. With the right people in office, once again we can make Bristol an attractive place to move into and not out of! With Ken Johnson, Bob Merrick, Councilman Rimcoski and myself we have a great start to a team that can make this happen!!

No comments: